Frequently Asked Questions for the Global Study Program (GSP)

How do I know if I’m eligible?

Students from select partner universities must be in high academic standing to participate in this program. They must have the recommendation of their home university and demonstrate academic preparation for college-level academic study in English. Accepted students must also demonstrate a high level of personal maturity.

What courses will I take?

This flexible program is designed to meet individual student needs through enrollment in a combination of course offerings. With more than 103 undergraduate majors and 101 graduate programs, UC Davis provides a wide range of options.

When do classes start?

The program is offered in 11-week sessions (10 weeks of classes, followed by one week of exams) throughout the academic year. Summer quarter is divided into two 6-week sessions. See the UC Davis Master Academic Calendar. Students accepted into the program may start during any of the four academic sessions throughout the year.

Will anyone help me with the I-20 document and F-1 visa process?

UC Davis Division of Continuing and Professional Education's International programs offer extensive advising services and can provide all of the vital information you need while studying in the United States.

Where will I live?

The International Housing Office can assist you with a variety of housing options, including homestay and apartments. With a homestay arrangement, you will live with a local family and experience an American family lifestyle. You can also rent out a room with a Davis family or in an apartment. Renting a room is an excellent opportunity to live with others who are not part of the GSP.

What is life like in Davis?

Students in the UC Davis Global Study Program are fully integrated into student life. They take challenging courses, participate in internships and research, join campus events and recreational activities, and form deep and lasting friendships with other students. For information about student life at UC Davis, visit our Student Life website.

What if I get sick?

The on-campus Student Health and Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art facility that utilizes the latest technology and provides quality and cost-sensitive care tailored to the unique and diverse needs of UC Davis students.

Am I required to have health insurance?

All students attending UC Davis are required to have health insurance. You may choose to purchase private health insurance, or you can purchase health insurance through the GSP office. If you want to have private health insurance, you will need to provide us with verification that you have coverage.

How much does the program cost?*

Contact your local International Office for more information concerning tuition. Although individual spending habits vary, we recommend that students budget approximately $4,000 U.S. dollars per academic quarter. The following chart provides a sample breakdown of expenses. Note that the minimum amount required on a financial statement for immigration purposes is $3,990.
  • Accommodations (off-campus): $900-1,200 per month
  • Meals: $425 per month
  • Local transportation: University and local public bus passes are included in student fees. A bicycle is a worthwhile expenditure ($50 or more)
  • Materials: $160-475 per academic quarter
  • Personal expenses: varies
  • Optional: UC Davis' Division of Continuing and Professional Education medical insurance for international visitors is approximately $580 per academic quarter

*Fees subject to change. Please note that the estimated expenses above do not include travel or excursion expenses throughout the United States.

Will my UC Davis courses be applied toward my degree at my home university?

Program advisers maintain close coordination with the home institutions and provide ongoing academic advising support and oversight for each student so educational goals are met.